"I never told my ambitions and efforts and failures to anyone. I listened unmoved to the sneers and ridicule of various relatives who thought my scribbling rank folly and waste of time. That never disturbed me at all. Down, deep down, under all discouragement and rebuff I knew I would arrive someday." - Lucy Maud Montgomery

You can buy my book ROCKY'S PLACE on Amazon and make sure to Like my page on Facebook!

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"Dean Winchester vs. Zeus": Supernatural 10x14: "The Executioners Song" Review



I don't watch the shows live. I record them on my dvr and watch them the next day. I always see the last two minutes of the Flash. This one has the bad guy from Highlander being attacked by a giant gorilla. According to my brother, the gorilla is a famous character from the Flash Comics. I nod and move on to Supernatural.

I became a fan many years ago, after working on TV conventions and actually meeting Jared Padalecki and Jim Beaver in person. I was a personal assistant to both before I watch a single episode. And thank goodness I did. If I had to work with Jared nowadays, I'd be giggling like a heart-struck twelve-year old. But back then, it was just a job. I could go on about my experiences as an old P.A, but this is about the new episode of the tenth season of the show, so on to the review.


The episode begins with Cain, and I have to say the man has gorgeous hair. It's a mix between Zeus from the 80s movies who just descended from Olympus and the Grizzly Man (an icon of the 70s). Maybe a little Kenny Rogers mixed in, too. And Cain kills a guy. He's Cain, that's what he does, right?

It's time for the investigation and this time Sam and Dean are detectives Moore and Ranaldo - a nice little Sonic Youth reference (that I had to google, and I'm a bit ashamed).


Castiel is questioning a demon, trying to find out Cain's whereabouts. One day he's crap daddy that can't control a whining teenage girl, next day he's badass Castiel from season 4.

Back in hell, the cross roads demon looks just like Carrot Top. I have to say Crowley's mother is the most annoying character I've seen on this show. I don't know if it's the fake Irish accent, or just the bad writing she gets. She needs to go. I'm sure she is a great stage actress, but it just doesn't translate that well on TV. Although, it's good to see that she is turning Crowley evil again. He had turn a bit soft, not a great change for the King of Hell.

Sam and Dean are always eating junk food and it makes me hungry.

Castiel is tracking down Cain as well. But lucky (or maybe unlucky?) for him, Cain has done the tracking himself. Did I mention he looks like a mix between Zeus and Nick Offerman? No, really that's Nick Offerman twenty years from now.

First commercial break and there's an ad for iZombie. It's so bad. Bad, bad, bad. Don't---- okay. Moving on.

Cain a.k.a Zeus Offerman says he's cleaning up a mess, And the woods look pretty clean. Except for all he graves from all the people he's massacred. He has the THIRST to kill again and tells Castiel there is no cure for the thirst, and that Dean (who has the mark as well) cannot be cured. Castiel makes a frownie face and poof Zeus Offerman is gone. (Other shows should learn from Supernatural. No special effects, no smoke, no sound, just change camera angle and he's gone.)

Every scene since the beginning of the season has been the same between Crowley and his mother. Do you think I'm trying to trick you? Yes, maybe. Blah, blah. They are really stretching this storyline out. I think it could've worked if they had made her character more like the Red Witch from the Game of Thrones and a little less like a witch from Disney's Halloween Town.

Back in the batcave--- I mean, back in the bunker Sam and Dean are researching the murder case. They find a clue using facebook. Back in the day the guys usually researched the library, or the newspaper, but now they log on to facebook and boom - they have all the info they need. And, no I'm not against that. Actually I approve. The guys move with the times, but it does make one realize how much time it's passed since those first seasons. Flip phones? Dean's Nokia? Time flies.

Commercial break again. Oh look it's iZombie again. It premiers in March. Nope.

Dean is in emo mode again. Poor Dean. He wants to kill Zeus Offerman. Says it's the only way to do it. Sam tells him he doesn't have to do it on his own. We've been on this road before many times. But I never get tired of it. You just can't. It's too good.

So the witch from Halloween Town is trying to convince Crowley of something and, honestly, I'm not even paying attention anymore. Phone rings, it's 'Not Moose'--- Sam, calling Crowley. (Isn't he adorable calling Sam and Dean "Not Moose" and "Moose". Come on.)

Momma doesn't want Crowley helping Sam and Dean because it will ruin his reputation. They're not his friends she says and out the door he is. He has no time for her Irish nonsense.

Sam, Dean and Castiel are waiting for Crowley and it's so good to see these four together. They don't need anyone else on this show. Fire everyone else. No guest starts. They could do season 11 with these guys on a road trip across the US and I'd watch it forever. CW make it happen.

Sam has a pouty face and Dean a frowny face as they wait for Cain. Dean says he is ready to die and that he is at peace with that. He's died how many times now? And also Sam? But I'm ignoring that.

Zeus Offerman shows up to kill a 12 year old kid (The Bait). Castiel tries his awesome Glowy Angel Eye trick but no good. Zeus O. swats him like a fly and down he goes. The Bait is actually an illusion spell done by Crowley (learned from Momma, guess she has been teaching him stuff. Oh well.).

So the four guys are ready confront Zeus O, who waits in the next room. They start discussing whether or not Dean is confronting him alone. Something they should've... I don't know... done BEFORE the actual confrontation. So we're all just standing here and waiting for a decision. Really, Dean's just looking at the knife know. They're all just looking at each other.

So the blade is like the Ring. Or Voldemort's locket (which was also like the Ring). Dean is ready to use it to kill Cain and Zeus O. moves like Bruce Lee, avoiding every slash. The judo lessons paid off. And now we've gone full Star Wars. There is no resisting the force. Zeus O. a.k.a. Papa Smurf has the blade and says he is saving Dean.

Papa Smurf tells Dean their stories are the same but backwards. His story began when he killed his brother and tells Dean his story will end when Dean kills Sam. Dean will kill Crowley and Castiel as well. It can all be avoided if Papa Smurf kills him right then and there. "You're welcome, my son."

But Dean switches roles and goes all Vader and cuts Papa Smurf's hand off. Dean begs him to tell him he will stop killing. If he does, he can walk away. Papa Smurf says he will never stop killing. Dean kills Papa Smurf and that's the last we will see of him and his glorious hair.

Dean hands the blade to Castiel and Crowley is not too happy about it. And confesses to Crowley it's the second lie he's told him. Crowley wasn't in Cain's list of people to kill after all.

Back with Momma, Crowley finds out she's leaving. She calls him the Winchesters' bitch. Ouch.

Back at the Command Center Sam has a frowny face and tells Castiel that Dean's in trouble. Which is, well, how the episode started. And what they've been saying since last season. But Cain is out of the picture and Crowley is so pissed he might edit his contacts to say Sam and Dean and not "Moose" and "Not Moose". Poor Crowley, the only person he'll have to hang out with now is his mom.

Overall, not a terrible episode. It was nice to see Sam, Dean, Castiel and Crowley all together as a team in an episode that actually moved the story forward after a string of filler episodes.

I give this episode 3.5 out of 5 blades of Cain.

No comments: